So excited - not only is it #freebeefridayknits Friday - and half term week - but this morning we awoke to find that our apricot tree had bloomed - this for us is the first sign of pending Spring - so a day to celebrate indeed!
Hope you enjoy making these leaves by the way! (free pattern here!)
... for those - who with still hundreds of things to do - still have to knit!
1. Cast on 18sts in Aran or DK yarn and 4mm needles (or ones to suit your yarn)
2. Knit (in garter stitch) rows to create a square
3. Cast off
4. Fold in half across the diagonal - corner to corner
5. Fold in half across the diagonal again
6. Over-sew the outer row ends of each diagonal side together - this become the hen’s back
7. Over sew the folded ends leaving about 2cm from the hen’s back down - splay this open part out to become the hen’s tail feathers
8. Shape the hen to create a slight curve along the back
9. With embroidery thread or similar work a short row of blanket stitch from the point (beak) created at the diagonal edge
10. Then work either a single lazy daisy petal for each wattle or just a couple of straight lines per wattle to complete